Workshops and talksOnline and/or in-house
How to be more employable in the private sector
Topic area: Career development
Format: Online or in-house workshop
Workload: 4 webinars of 2-2.5 h each = 2 workshop days
Trainer: David Giltner
Target group: PhD students and postdocs
Most of us who complete a PhD in a science discipline will end up working outside of academia. Are you wondering what working in the private sector is really like? How do you find these jobs? Do you feel confident that you can impress an industry hiring manager when you describe the very specialized research project you just spent years pursuing? And what kinds of jobs can a scientist get in a company anyway? This workshop helps you with these questions and many more about the exciting world that awaits scientists in the private sector!
How is industry different than academia?
- Addressing the cultural differences
- What will my main challenges be in that job?
How to design your own career path in the private sector
- What strengths make me valuable in industry?
- What’s the best way to find a job?
Industry topics not taught in STEM
- How are projects run in industry?
- Finance - The language of business
- Working with customers
Can a scientist build a rewarding career in industry?
- Career options for scientists in industry
- Will I enjoy working in industry?
Impressing an industry manager
- How can I describe my PhD work so they see my value?
- How can I sound more industry savvy in an interview?
Overcoming the job search challenges
- I was perfect for that job! Why didn’t I hear back?
- How do I answer those hard interview questions?
- Can a shy person network effectively?
For larger audiences, the workshop content can be presented as an interactive talk.
This seminar can be tailored to long-term postdocs, who failed to secure a professorship and face problems transitioning to the private sector. Special emphasis is given to re-writing your skillset and career options with that specific background.
Already interested to learn more about the topic before enjoying the workshop?
David Giltner recorded a video about the topic: Academia or Industry? How do I choose?
Get in touch with us
Meet all available trainers
Workshops and talks you may like