This text has been translated from a German original written by Dr. Eliza Leusmann (published in Nachrichten aus der Chemie (April 2018, p. 446)). The drawings are from Maike Hettinger.
Answer these eight questions in order to prove once more, ‘We´re all individuals- me not!’
1) When do you sign up for a conference?
- Whenever my boss tells me to.
- … the early bird …
- … can bugger off!
- Whenever my secretary reminds me to do so.
- When rumours that the colleagues will attend go around the institute.
- Oops, until when was the registration deadline?
2) Where are you during the talks?
- Exactly where I belong- on stage!
- I sit in the front third on the left side, centre of row.
- Centre-centre, where everyone can see me well.
- I wait with my friends in the reception hall. There will be coffee soon, right?
- I sit at the back, so people don´t take as much notice if I snore.
I don´t care as long as no one bothers me while I´m typing.
3) What do you wear during the conference?
- Whatever my wife picked for me.
- The up-market red blazer, as always. That will be recognised and remembered.
- Ahm, the stuff from yesterday is still fine, I guess.
- Jacket and shirt, ironed.
- Hoodie and jeans, what else?
- My conference pants. Cord trousers, that keep me warm, super-comfy.
4) What do you present to the other participants?
- My poster.
- My latest results.
- How to network.